Monday, July 6, 2009

Sarah leaves the building...

...probably for several reasons, I'm thinking. I only grit my teeth over the possibilities. I hope it's for the upright reasons I think and not the single one I dread.

I've watched Letterman from his early days as an early morning talk show host in the '80s up to the dubious present. He was - back then - one of the funniest human beings ever to wear socks. His take on things was fresh original and off the wall. He didn't depend on making lewd sexual jokes about children for a laugh. His humour wasn't personal, but universal. Now he keeps a staff of elding, hardened creatures like himself to write monologues. At least one of those guys has a teenage daughter. These folks probably have their favourite cut- throat lawyer on speed dial, and how many seconds it would take them to bring charges on behalf of themselves in the same situation is anybody's guess. Easy to see why Jay Leno's ratings are generally better. Somehow, Leno has retained much of his early sense of decency, even in the hard driven world of corporate television.

Sarah Palin reacted in much the same way as any parent would, all politics aside. I honestly question the integrity of anybody who thinks it was fair game to say what Letterman did. Though no fan of the Obama administration, I would be sickened to hear about his two daughters verbally abused by some dried out old comic. That's not politics -that's just being human.
But I digress.

Palin had to have known how murky the political waters can get, and chose to drag her family into it. Apparently Todd Palin consented. The ensuing price was any sense of normalcy and her family's privacy. She's a bright enough woman to really understand this, and it surprises me that she'd buckle in mid stream, no matter how vile the opposition. I don't blame her -at least from the viewpoint of trying to salvage her family's remaining peace of mind. We don't know the whole story yet. Regardless -barring illness or some other bigger than life reason for quitting- she opted to play the big leagues and as Tom Hanks once so fetchingly shrieked "What...wait - are you crying?...there's no crying in baseball!"

No comments:

Post a Comment